TOPIA Book Reviews
TOPIA: Canadian Journal of Cultural Studies is currently soliciting book reviews and review essays for an upcoming special issue on finance. Authors are invited to select works to review from the following list of titles. Priority will be given to requests for longer review essays, in which two or more titles are discussed in relation to one another as well as to their wider contexts.
- Berardi, Franco. The Uprising: On Poetry and Finance. Semiotext(e), 2012.
- Bettig, Ronald V. and Jeanne Lynn Hall. Big Media, Big Money: Cultural Texts and Political Economics. Rowman and Littlefield, 2012.
- Blackburn, Robin. Age Shock: How Finance is Failing Us. Verso, 2012.
- Buckland, Gerry. Hard Choices: Financial Exclusion, Fringe Banks, and Poverty in Urban Canada. U of Toronto P, 2012.
- Cage, Marianna. Marketing is Violence: A User’s Guide. Not So Noble Books, 2012.
- Castells, Manuel, Joao Caraca, and Gustavo Cardoso. Aftermath: The Cultures of the Economic Crisis. Oxford UP, 2012.
- Christophers, Brett. Banking Across Boundaries: Placing Finance in Capitalism. Wiley-Blackwell, 2013.
- Crary, Jonathan. 24/7: Late Capitalism and the Ends of Sleep. Verso, 2013.
- Harvey, David. Rebel Cities: From the Right to the City to the Urban Revolution. Verso, 2012.
10. Dufresne, Todd and Clara Sacchetti, eds. The Economy as Cultural System: Theory, Capitalism, Crisis. New York and London: Bloomsbury, 2013.
11. Hayward, Mark. Cultural Studies and Finance Capitalism: The Economic Crisis and After. Routledge, 2012.
12. Henderson, Lisa. Love and Money: Queers, Class, and Cultural Production. NYU Press, 2012.
13. Jameson, Fredric. Representing Capital: A Reading of Volume One. Verso, 2012.
14. Kapoor, Illan. Celebrity Humanitarianism: The Ideology of Global Charity. Routledge, 2012.
15. Lazzarato, Maurizio. The Making of the Indebted Man. Translated by Joshua David Jordan. Boston: MIT Press, 2012.
16. Léger, Marc James The Neoliberal Undead: Essays On Contemporary Art and Politics. Zero Books, 2013.
17. Lewis, Jeff. Global Media Apocalypse: Pleasure, Violence and the Cultural Imaginings of Doom. Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
18. Lopez, A. Ricardo and Barbara Weinstein (eds.) The Making of the Middle Class: Toward a Transnational History. Duke UP, 2012.
19. Marazzi, Christian. The Violence of Financial Capitalism. Semiotext(e), 2011.
20. Marazzi, Christian. Capital and Affects: The Politics of the Language Economy. Semiotext(e), 2011.
21. Mitropoulos, Angela. Contract & Contagion: From Biopolitics to Oikonomia. Brooklyn: Minor Compositions, 2012.
22. O’Malley, Michael. Face Value: The Entwined Histories of Money and Race in America. U of Chicago P, 2012.
23. Russi, Luigi. Hungry Capital: The Financialization of Food. Zero Books, 2013.
24. Rutherford, Jonathan and Sally Davison, eds. The Neoliberal Crisis. Lawrence and Wishart, 2012.
25. Sachleben, Mark and Kevan Yenerall (eds.). American and International Politics in Film and Popular Culture, 2nd Ed. Peter Lang, 2012.
26. Scott, Sonya. Architectures of Economic Subjectivity: The Philosophical Foundations of the Subject in the History of Modern Economic Thought. Routledge, 2012.
27. Scott, Sonya. Architectures of Economic Subjectivity: The Philosophical Foundations of the Subject in the History of Economic Thought. Routledge, 2012.
28. Sholette, Gregory, and Oliver Ressler, eds. It’s the Political Economy, Stupid: the Global Financial Crisis in Art and Theory. London and New York: Pluto, 2013.
29. Staheli, Urs. Spectacular Speculation: Thrills, the Economy, and Popular Discourse. Stanford UP, 2013.
30. Steger, Manfred, James Goodman, and Erin K. Wilson. Justice Globalism: Ideology, Crises, Policy. Sage, 2012.
31. Steigler, Bernard. For a New Critique of Political Economy Polity, 2010.
32. Suarez-Villa, Luis. Globalization and Technocapitalism. Ashgate, 2012.
For more information about TOPIA and its review lengths and policies, please visit the journal’s website at: http://pi.library.yorku.ca/ojs/index.php/topia/index. For answers to review-specific questions, please contact TOPIA’s book review editor.