Call for Papers Symposium on Manitoba Writing Winnipeg, Manitoba May 10-12, 2012
On the campus of Canadian Mennonite University Organized by the Manitoba Writers’ Guild
Keynote Speakers: Marta Dvorak, E. F. (Ted) Dyck, Dick Harrison, Aritha Van Herk
In celebration of the 30th Anniversary of the Manitoba Writers’ Guild (MWG), you are invited to take part in a Symposium on Manitoba Writing in spring 2012. A welcome will be extended to everyone – including but not limited to writers, critics, teachers, readers, historians, booksellers, scholars, journalists, students, and creative artists in other genres. In addition to the presentation of papers described below, there will be readings, social events, celebrations, discussion panels, and invited speakers on wide-ranging topics.
The conference will appeal to a variety of people, and we ask that respondents keep that in mind when preparing proposals.
Proposals on all aspects of Manitoba writing are sought. The following list is meant to be suggestive only. Topics or methods of your own devising are warmly welcomed.
- Explorations of genre, period, gender, ethnicity, region, mode, style
- Histories of taste, inter-arts collaboration, non-English writing
- Investigations of memoirs, theatre, romances, letters, fiction, radio and television productions, journalism, poetry, science fiction, belles lettres, literary criticism
- Examinations of the role of teachers, readers, religious organizations, booksellers, librarians, writers’ organizations, digital technology and writing
- Analyses of constituencies, cultural centralization, national involvements, relationships with other literary groups and institutions
DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS: December 1, 2011
Please submit proposals (approximately 250-500 words plus a one-paragraph bio/bibliography) by e-mail or regular mail to: email@example.com or Symposium Organizing Committee, Manitoba Writers’ Guild, 218-100 Arthur Street, Winnipeg MB R3B 1H3. No e-mail attachments, please.
Decisions about the proposals will be communicated by January 31, 2012. Please note that the proceedings may be recorded; more information will be forthcoming. The finished papers should be 15-20 minutes in length.
For more information about the Symposium, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organizing Committee: Dennis Cooley (chair), Jonathan Ball, Neil Besner, Gloe Cormie, Victor Enns, Jan Horner, Reinhold Kramer, Maeengan Linklater, Chris Rutkowski, Sue Sorensen, Armin Wiebe.