Fifth International and Interdisciplinary Conference Alexander von Humboldt, 2009: Travels Between Europe and the Americas
at Freie Universität Berlin, Germany, July 27-31, 2009
Call for Papers
Researchers from all disciplines, professors and graduate students interested in travels between Europe and the Americas are invited to submit abstracts of their papers for consideration.
- Alexander von Humboldt
- Travels Between Europe and Latin America (15th through 21st centuries)
- Travelling in Dictatorships: Colonialism, Caudillismo, Fascism,
- Travel and Science: Measuring, Collecting, Imagining the World
- Contemporary Travel Writing
- Emigration and Exile
- Travelling, Gender, Sexuality
- Travel Cultures, Practices and Economies: Discoveries, Expeditions,
- Global Environments: Travels and Ecology
- Narrating Voyages: the Scholar-Traveller
- Theories of Mobility and Travel Literature
- In special sessions, travel writers and correspondents will read from their work.
- Cultural activities, excursions to historic sites and a guided tour in Berlin will be offered.
- The conference will end with an optional trip to Weimar.
- Papers will be considered for publication.
- Papers may be presented in English, German or Spanish.
- Participants who wish to speak in German or Spanish are asked to provide English versions of their papers to be projected onto screens during their talk.
- Presentations should not exceed 20 minutes (approximately 8 pages double-spaced, 2.000 words).
- Abstracts may be submitted in English, German or Spanish (250 words maximum).
- Please submit your abstracts online via www.humboldtconference2009.de.
- If you would like to suggest a panel, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with the title of your panel, the chair (name and contact information) and the titles and reference numbers of each of the presentations which were submitted separately under “additional panels” in the online abstract system.
- The deadline for submissions is December 1, 2008.
- 100 Euros for North American and European participants.
- 50 Euros for graduate students and Latin American participants.
Contacts & Information
- Dr. Lilianet Brintrup, Conference President: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Oliver Lubrich, Conference Vice President: email@example.com
- For detailed information please visit our website at www.humboldtconference2009.de
Freie Universität Berlin
Peter Szondi Department of Comparative Literature Habelschwerdter
14195 Berlin, Germany
Humboldt State University
Department of World Languages and Cultures Arcata, California 95521,USA www.humboldt.edu