Critical Studies in Men’s Fashion is currently accepting submissions for a special focus issue on Fashion and Style Icons.
The deadline to submit is 15 December 2016.
This focus issue will examine individuals and groups of people who influence(d) how men dress, departed from sartorial conventions, expanded the concept of ‘men’s style’, or whose own aesthetic presentations were/are unique to warrant analysis. Manuscripts can focus on specific individuals or general groups of people, real or fictional.
Contributions are welcome from all disciplines including: fashion studies, anthropology, art, art history, design, business, consumer studies, cultural studies, economics, gender studies, humanities, literature, marketing, psychology, queer studies, religion, sociology, and textiles. Diverse methods including critical analysis, reportage, quantitative analysis, qualitative analysis and arts methods are accepted.
Examples include, but are not limited to:
• Athletes and branding
• Charles Atlas and his impact on the male body aesthetic
• Dictators and revolutionaries
• Liberace’s flamboyant style and his impact on other musicians’ dress
• Ralph Lauren’s concept of the American man
• Beau Brummel and the impact of dandyism
• David Bowie’s evolving characters
• Designers who changed menswear
• Samurai warriors’ influence on modern fashion
• RuPaul’s impact on drag aesthetics
• Katharine Hepburn’s use of menswear in her professional life
• YSL’s use of menswear in his clothing for women
• Superheroes such as Superman, Batman, and Spiderman
All manuscripts will undergo double blind peer review. Articles will be selected on their content, scholarship, and technical quality. The content must be in line with the vision of the journal in advancing scholarship on men and appearance.
All submissions must follow Intellect’s house style for review, available from:
Click to access Intellect%20style%20guide.pdf
Manuscripts should be approximately 5000 words and use British spelling. It is the author’s responsibility to clear image rights usage if images are included in the manuscript.
Please send manuscripts and questions to: Dr. Andy Reilly, Editor, email@example.com
Please feel free to circulate this call broadly to colleagues who may be interested.