Call for Papers
Retrospect and Prospect:
International Symposium on Chinese Canadian literature and Media
July 20-21, 2017
York University, Toronto, Canada
From July 20 to 21, 2017, as hosted by York University in the light of celebrating Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation, this international symposium explores the theme “Retrospect and Prospect” in Chinese Canadian literature and media.
The Symposium invites scholars in Canada and abroad from different disciplines and using various theoretical methodologies and cross-cultural approaches to participate. The Symposium aims to examine how diverse cultural encounters have impacted on Chinese Canadian writers and media in narration of the history of Chinese Canadian and how the diasporic experience of Chinese Canadian in the multicultural society and in the post-colonial era shape their cultural identities.
The Symposium will feature a keynote speech and roundtable discussions by invited guests of ethnic Chinese writers and scholars of diasporic studies.
The Symposium welcomes proposals for organized panels and individual papers.
For organized panels:
- Panel title and abstract (250 words maximum in English or 400 characters maximum in Chinese);
- Paper title and abstract (250 words maximum in English or 400 characters maximum in Chinese) for each prospective paper presentation;
- Panels should include a maximum of five (5) members, including one (1) panel chair and/or one (1) discussant;
- Panelist information (full name, affiliation, rank, contact information, etc.). Please see the attached form of Intend to Attend;
- Language used (English or Chinese).
For individual papers:
- Paper title and abstract (250 words maximum in English or 400 characters maximum in Chinese);
- Paper presenter information (full name, affiliation, rank, contact information, etc.). Please see the attached form of Intend to Attend.
- Language used (English or Chinese)
Proposals must be submitted electronically to email@example.com by December 18th, 2016.
Submitted proposals will be reviewed by the program committee. Successful applicants will be notified by January 6, 2017.
Registration Fee: TBA
Top of Form
Participants of the Symposium are expected to fund their own travel and accommodation.
Limited financial support is available for some graduate students or junior scholars. If you would like to be considered for financial support, please submit the Financial Assistance form in which you state the rationale of your request. Please note that the Symposium operates on a limited budget, and will only be able to provide a partial grant to the selected recipients. The form should be submitted along with the Organized Panel or Individual Paper Proposal by December 18th, 2016. Requests for funding received after this date will not be taken into consideration.
The Symposium is jointly organized by the Chinese Program of York University, Jinan University of China, York Center for Asian Research, the Society for Chinese Canadian Literature Studies, Vancouver, and Chinese Association for World Literature in Chinese.